9 Dead, 120,000 Relocated as Floods Ravage Southern China
This developing story was updated with additional information on June 9, 2020.
Torrential rainfall over the past week has spread to eight provincial-level regions in the south of China. Nine people have died and five are missing as a result of the storms and ensuing floods, according to the National Disaster Reduction Center of China.
Some 900 homes have collapsed, and over 120,000 people have been relocated. The disaster center estimated that the extreme weather has so far cost the Chinese economy over 2.8 billion yuan ($396 million).
On Sunday, authorities in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region had issued a “severe meteorological disaster (rainstorm) emergency response” amid severe flooding.
As of Saturday night, one person in the southern region had died and over 323,000 had been affected by the extreme weather, according to the Guangxi government. Road collapses, power outages, and communications blackouts were also reported in the region.
Several cities in the northern and central parts of Guangxi have seen steady, strong downpours since May 31, resulting in the worst flooding to hit the region in the past five to 10 years.
E Jingping, deputy head of the State Flood Control and Drought Relief Headquarters, said during a meeting Monday that the soil in areas with frequent rainfall has become saturated and highlighted the risk of flash floods from the continued downpour.
“The defense situation is very severe,” E said.
Forecasts indicate that southern China will continue to see heavy precipitation over the next four days, and areas including parts of Guangxi should expect intense rainfall to continue throughout the week.
Editor: David Paulk.
(Header image: A view of the severe flooding in Yangshuo County, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, June 7, 2020. Xiong Youfa/People Visual)