Are you interested in becoming a member of an international team of passionate journalists covering a wide range of topics in Chinese society and social media, business and economics, politics and government, culture and history, technology and innovation?
Do you share our philosophy that reporting on China from a human-centric standpoint has the potential to be eye-opening and impactful? Does the prospect of conducting face-to-face interviews with people from all walks of life excite you? Do you thrive in diverse, collaborative environments that encourage you to think beyond your own life experiences? Do you have outstanding written English and strong overall Chinese skills?
If so, we encourage you to take a good look around our website, paying particular attention to the different kinds of articles we publish, and familiarize yourself with our content and style. If you’re inspired by what you see, drop us a line at email@example.com and tell us why you’re interested in working for us. Please also include a CV giving your educational background and work experience, and we’ll let you know if we have suitable openings.
To be clear, we don’t have many set-in-stone requirements, and you don’t have to be a native speaker of either English or Chinese, provided you have excellent writing skills. We hire outstanding candidates from all backgrounds and do not discriminate based on sex, age, race, disability, nationality, sexual orientation, or tea preference.
All positions are based in Shanghai and full-time unless otherwise noted. We offer competitive salary packages.
Sixth Tone is hiring an editor for its Broad Tones section. The successful applicant will be connecting with a wide range of people with unique perspectives to share, including experts, commentators, and those whose voices are rarely heard.
1. Source, plan, and edit articles from contributing writers.
2. Join a small team of editors that operates flexibly and autonomously.
3. Collaborate with our visual and social teams to ensure that our stories reach the widest audience possible.
1. Native Chinese speakers with a wide range of expert contacts are preferred, as is a background in economics or the natural sciences.
2. At least an intermediate English reading level is required.
3. The ideal candidate should have a comprehensive understanding of Chinese society and be able to explain selected topics to foreign readers.
4. Strong attention to detail and a meticulous approach toward work in general.
5. Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter, including salary expectation and earliest availability, to firstname.lastname@example.org — copying email@example.com — by June 30, 2018.
【Social Media Editor】
Sixth Tone is looking for a social media editor with experience in journalism and social media strategy.
You will be responsible for building our presence across a variety of social media platforms, engaging our readers and maximizing social reach.
1. Work with our editorial and visual teams to develop engaging and creative social content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WeChat and more.
2. Pitch stories and campaign ideas for social media platforms.
3. Engage with readers by responding to their comments and messages, and monitor comments.
4. Build relationships with influencers and organizations across the social platforms.
1. Passion for social media, with at least two years of experience in running social media accounts.
2. Deep understanding of mainstream and emerging social channels, their users, their advantages and their limitations.
3. Native-level English speaker with a strong knowledge of Chinese culture and at least intermediate Mandarin ability.
4. Experience using analytics and social media scheduling platforms.
5. Photo and video editing skills a plus.
If interested, please send a brief resume, salary expectations, and date of availability to firstname.lastname@example.org and to email@example.com.