Are you interested in becoming a member of an international team of passionate journalists covering a wide range of topics in Chinese society and social media, business and economics, politics and government, culture and history, technology and innovation?
Do you share our philosophy that reporting on China from a human-centric standpoint has the potential to be eye-opening and impactful? Does the prospect of conducting face-to-face interviews with people from all walks of life excite you? Do you thrive in diverse, collaborative environments that encourage you to think beyond your own life experiences? Do you have outstanding written English and strong overall Chinese skills?
If so, we encourage you to take a good look around our website, paying particular attention to the different kinds of articles we publish, and familiarize yourself with our content and style. If you’re inspired by what you see, drop us a line at email@example.com and tell us why you’re interested in working for us. Please also include a CV giving your educational background and work experience, and we’ll let you know if we have suitable openings.
To be clear, we don’t have many set-in-stone requirements, and you don’t have to be a native speaker of either English or Chinese, provided you have excellent writing skills. We hire outstanding candidates from all backgrounds and do not discriminate based on sex, age, race, disability, nationality, sexual orientation, or tea preference.
All positions are based in Shanghai and full-time unless otherwise noted. We offer competitive salary packages.
【Job Opening: News Editor】
Sixth Tone is looking for a seasoned, passionate editor to join its news desk. The successful applicant will join our multilingual team of reporters to shape our vital short-form section, which includes Rising Tones and Half Tones.
1. Attend morning news meetings and help decide which stories to pursue.
2. Shepherd other staff through the research and writing process when necessary.
3. Edit news stories to a ready-to-publish state in a time-efficient manner.
4. Keep a close eye on the China news cycle at all times.
5. Support features, visuals, and social media teams with their editing needs on an ad hoc basis.
1. Native English speaker with a keen understanding of Chinese society and culture.
2. Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or a related field.
3. At least two years of relevant work experience, ideally with China-focused media.
4. Strong attention to detail and a meticulous approach toward work in general.
5. Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
6. Chinese language skills (especially reading) are desirable but not essential.
To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter, including salary expectation and earliest availability, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
【Job Opening: Features Editor】
Sixth Tone is looking for a seasoned, passionate features editor to join its Deep Tones team. The ideal candidate will have excellent writing and editing skills, experience of editing features at a media organization, and an ability to work collaboratively and creatively to tight deadlines.
1. Lead a team of writers and edit raw copy into high-quality feature articles.
2. Take part in regular features meetings, helping colleagues decide which ideas to pursue and how to execute them.
3. Liaise with other feature editors and offer suggestions on how articles can be improved prior to publication.
4. Ensure that articles are completed according to the demands of our publishing schedule.
5. Support news, visual, and social media staff with editing needs on an ad hoc basis.
1. Native-level English speaker with a keen understanding of Chinese society and culture.
2. At least two years of editing experience, ideally in journalism. Journalism experience in China is desirable but not essential.
3. Strong attention to detail, an ability to think creatively, and a meticulous approach toward work in general.
4. Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
5. Chinese language skills are desirable but not essential.
To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter, including salary expectations and earliest availability, to email@example.com
【Job Opening: Reporter】
Sixth Tone is looking for a health and education reporter to join its features team. The role involves working with a small group of reporters and editors to pitch and report original short- and long-form stories that convey the human angles behind China’s changing health and education sectors.
The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic team player who takes initiative and has plenty of creative and unique ideas. Native-level Chinese skills and strong written English are required. Candidates with a journalism qualification and/or knowledge of health and education are preferred, as are candidates already based in China.
To apply, please send a brief cover letter, resume, salary expectations, examples of previous work, and earliest availability to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please conduct all email correspondence and submit all application documents in English.
【Job Opening: Video Reporter】
Sixth Tone is recruiting a video reporter to join our visuals team!This role entails taking initiative to pursue video stories, as well as working with the team on major visual projects.The ideal candidate is very pro-active and has strong time management capabilities.
1.Produce video stories (both long and short in duration).
2.Write scripts and supplement articles for video stories in English.
3. Responding swiftly in the face of breaking news.
4. Liaise with other team members throughout major projects.
1. Strong videography skills.
2. At least two years of experience in video production.
3.Proficiency in video editing with Adobe Premiere or Final Cut.
4. Strong communication skills and above-average English language proficiency (writing especially).
To apply, please send your CV, a brief cover letter, two samples of your prior work/projects, as well as salary expectations and earliest availability to email@example.com